We are so excited for our 3rd annual Modern Quilt Guild Showcase at International Quilt Festival in Houston Texas!
Here are the details:
We would like to invite members from any of the Modern Quilt Guilds around the world to be considered for inclusion in the new exhibit. You may submit a total of two (2) quilts for consideration. We require that quilts be at least 36″ on each side. There is no maximum size limit. Quilts entered into this showcase are eligible to be entered into QuiltCon 2015 as well.
Timeline for Quilt Entry:
Entry open – May 30th to June 27th, 2014
Notification by – August 1, 2014
Selected quilts arrive in Houston by – September 5, 2014
Quilts returned to owner – December 2014
Modern quilts and quilters:
- Make primarily functional quilts but place a large emphasis on the design and art of quilt making
- Use asymmetry in quilt design
- Rely less on repetition and on the interaction of quilt block motifs
- Contain reinterpreted traditional blocks
- Embrace simplicity and minimalism
- Utilize alternative block structures or lack of visible block structure
- Incorporate increased use of negative space
- Are inspired by modern art and architecture
- Frequently use improvisational piecing
- Contain bold colors, on trend color combinations and graphic prints
- Use gray and white as neutrals
- Reflect an increased use of solid fabrics
- Focus on finishing quilts on home sewing machines
Don’t miss out on this incredible opportunity to show your work. For a complete list of details see this link.