The Modern Quilt Guild Board of Directors held their annual planning meeting in Houston, just before Quilt Market. Board members attended both in person and through video conference.
The board recognized a need for leadership positions on the board to help us achieve our goals and provide guidance to the MQG staff. To that end, the Board elected Jacquie Gering as our chairperson, Kathy Mack as Treasurer, and Susanne Woods as Secretary.
The Board of Directors established five focus areas for the Modern Quilt Guild in 2013-2014.
1. Educating our members and the quilting community
2. Developing processes and procedures to form a strong foundation for the guild
3. Supporting, developing and growing our membership
4. Creating a charitable program for membership and the community
5. Developing and implementing a membership voting and governance process
With the goal of involving our members in strategic decisions and the development of the organization, we are excited to announce the establishment of six committees that will provide support and guidance for strengthening the foundation of the guild and supporting the mission of the MQG.
These committees are member volunteer based and will be chaired by a member of the Board of Directors with the exception of the Nominating Committee which will be chaired by a member.
Chaired by Jacquie Gering
Supports skill growth within membership; supports development and implementation of education support; seeks outlets for membership education; handles and oversees events, external communications, and maintains judging and jurying process for the MQG. The goals for 2014 are:
• Develop judging and jurying process for QuiltCon
• Educate other guilds and judges about judging modern quilts
• Develop judge certification process
• Provide input to instructor and lecturer recruitment process
• Develop teacher/lecturer certification program
Chaired by Kathy Mack
Includes legal, HR, policies and procedures, IT, technology purchases and long-term planning. Handles and oversees finances. The goals for 2014 are:
• Develop employment contract process
• Work with Executive Director to develop employee annual review process
• Work with the staff and other committee chairs to produce annual report
Chaired by Alissa Haight Carlton
Handles and oversees membership details from the database to addressing member concerns; oversees the developing of documents for guild support; acts as primary contact person to our internal members; funnels member concerns to the Board of Directors; oversees annual membership survey. The goals for 2014 are:
• Develop documents for guild support
• Execute 2014 membership survey
Chaired by Heather Grant
Oversees charity sewing and MQG volunteerism; develop and maintain a grant program. The goals for 2014 are:
• Identify focus areas of charities for the guild
• Develop a community involvement program
• Develop charity sewing program
• Develop grant program
Chaired by Susanne Woods
Develops and oversees the MQG’s governance structure; works with the nominating committee. The goals for 2014 are:
• Develop governance structure with member input
• Determine election process for National Guild board members
• Execute elections
Lead and staffed by members (not the board); researches and identifies potential board candidates; oversees board member applications and works closely with the Governance Committee. The goals for 2014 are:
• Develop criteria for National Guild board member candidacy (with input from governance)
* Nominating Committee members are not eligible to be National guild board members.
If you are interested in volunteering for one of these committees, please email Jacquie at firstname.lastname@example.org.